Did you know that if you are in a common law relationship, and die without a will, your common law partner is not entitled to receive a share of your estate under the Devolution of Estate Act of New Brunswick? In order to obtain a share of your estate, your common law partner may have to ask the court for relief and retain the services of a lawyer to prove that he or she was dependant on you financially or that the estate has been unjustly enriched as a result of his or her contributions.

If you wish to leave property to your common law partner when you die, you should do so by making a will.